Skip to main content

Can We Still Judge a Book By Its Cover?

My neice told me she is now getting her text books on-line. I don't mean she is ordering her books on-line, she is reading them on line. She had mixed feelings about this. Even my 14 year old son, who is an avid user of everything in the digital age, was luke warm to the idea. The site is called CourseSmart. You basically "rent" the book for 180 days and then it expires and you have no more access to the content. There are some great features like being about to highlight and bookmark content and the student can print out only the pages they require. But this also means you must have a laptop or computer to access the content.

Of course, there is always Kindle, the wireless reading device--the future of book reading they say. The screen is high-resolution and reads like paper and you can literally carry your library of books on one device. Of course, I can see benefits for this with text books. I remember carrying my books around campus and getting a backache. Either that, or I would forget the one book I needed.

Call me old fashioned but I'm going to miss books if this is their future. I would miss cracking the spine of a new book and the crisp fresh pages. I also love sharing a well worn book with friends. In fact, I still have some of my college text books. When I was a kid, my mom would take us to the library to stroll the shelves for a new book. I can't imagine scrolling through a series of names on line and having the same excitement. Could I still judge the book by its cover?

Patty Jensen




Comments

Anonymous said…
there are always tactile things about books that will be missed, but I can't deny I'm drawn to the convenience of having many books in one little device. I haven't tried reading off a Kindle yet, but as the technology improves I'm sure to be an enthusiastic adopter.
Anonymous said…
Right after I read this post and commented, I found out about the new Kindle app for the iPhone! I think it's pretty cool--the app is very tiny and loads in a flash, and when you launch it it has a link to amazon.com where you'll need to log in w/your amazon acct to browse the kindle store. They seem to have a pretty good selection and I downloaded a sample of Christopher Moore's "Lamb" to see how it works. Once you download the sample, you go back to the kindle app on your phone and it does a sync and there it is--easy peasy. The default reading size is fine, although you can change type size, bookmark pages, and some other stuff i haven't checked out yet. If you're at all remotely interested in e-book reading and have an iphone/touch, check it out!

Popular posts from this blog

Packaging: 10 Steps to a Better Process

1. Prioritize. Prioritize. Prioritize. When three people are talking to you, you can’t hear them all. The same is true for design. Visual priority must be established from the very beginning of the design process. If every item is given primary importance, nothing becomes important. The visual priorities are what drive how all creative will be judged. The design firm should include as part of their creative brief, a hierarchy of 5 communication points for the front of the package. This includes 1) brand 2) product name 3) why-to-buy statement 4) feature points 5) product image. 2. Come together. Everyone has an opinion, so clear project objectives are vital to any job. Consensus regarding the creative brief must be obtained from the people expected to judge the package design from within your corporation. Without this consensus, the design process will fall apart. Without clearly stated, agreed-upon objectives, you are not able to provide constructive feedback. As soon as you start t

New and Not Necessarily Improved

A story in the March 3, 2009 issue of the LA Times regarding the unfavorably received new Pepsi brand redesign reminded me of another recent unsuccessful redesign—the one for Tropicana orange juice. A few months ago, I was in a Target store buying some orange juice. I usually get the Tropicana brand, and was disappointed when I didn't see any in the cases. I just saw a bunch of unfamiliar cartons that I immediately wrote off as "not Tropicana" and kept looking around. It was only during a second pass that I realized that these new cartons were indeed Tropicana. Wow, I thought, that's a pretty radical new look. Gone were any vestiges of familiarity--the funky old-style logo, and especially the orange with the straw stuck in it. The new carton is dominated by a large shot of a tasteful-looking (not necessarily tasty-looking) glass of orange juice, with the word "Tropicana" in an unfamiliar sans serif font and green color turned 90ยบ clockwise along the side. T

Let Your Packaging Sell Your Product, Not a Funny Name!

So I ran across this product while I was traveling in NY and needed some earplugs.  I can't sleep without them. Earplugs are notoriously hard to find on shelf so I had to scan many products. I came across this product and got quite a chuckle. I don't think I need to explain why (To be fair, it was awhile ago, and the package design could have changed since then.): Zim's Crack Creme---we can assume that Zim is the pharmacist who created this all-natural herbal wonder cream (creme) for your crack. Or is that really what this means. Surly it couldn't. We design packaging and I couldn't help but analyze this package as I would for a client. The first thing we help our clients do is to prioritize the elements on the front of the package. What is the most important thing to communicate? The name? The brand? The why-to-buy? The features? Obviously, Zim felt the name of the product was most important. But if the name of the product doesn't really convey what it doe