Skip to main content

The Chronicles of Jack-on-our-Block



Every now and then the creatives at JDA go on walks during our lunch hour or head to the nearby Starbucks in the afternoon for a quick pick-me-up. Along the way we'd pass a small traffic circle surrounded by giant spherical concrete barriers.  For some reason traffic circles (even the small ones) notoriously attract drivers who don't know how to navigate them, and in our case it sometimes came at the expense of one of the concrete barriers. In late October we would walk past a destroyed barrier and we would always point out how it looked like Jack in the Box because of the traffic cone the maintenance crew placed on top of it and around it for safety. Every time we passed it, we'd make some sort of reference to "Jack".


One morning as I was settling in to work I came across this news article about the infamous street artist Banksy's recent exploits in NYC:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/banksy-ends-new-york-residency-article-1.1502984

Needless to say, it inspired me to give our "Jack" a face the next time we went out for one of our walks. After about 5 minutes of prep, Day 1 of the Jack facelift was done in 10 seconds. I proudly snapped a picture on my phone and shared it for friends to see on Instagram with the caption "Banksy 2.0". I thought I was done, but not quite.

Day 1 of my "street art" fell on a Friday which meant Jack would sit there over the weekend for all to see. To my surprise, when I came in on Monday (Day 4) I noticed someone had changed the mouth I placed on Jack to one of their own-- a smile. My street art just became "community street art." GAME ON. 



Excited by the possibility of artistic contributions to this side project, I decided to continue making occasional changes and alterations to Jack until the necessary parties came together to have it fixed. On some of the days when I worked early hours, I'd come in and sneak on a new face before the heavier traffic started rolling in. Unfortunately the community effort in the Jack project wasn't as often as I had hoped, so for a while it was my "one-man-show" during which Jack underwent many expression changes, my favorite of which was one where he was sipping from a cup of one of his competitors. By Day 14, someone had come by and changed Jack's mouth to a slight frown and even added an unopened can of beer next to him. "It must suck to not have arms" was the caption on that day's Instagram post.


By Day 18 we noticed Jack got moved a few feet away-- a clear indication that a plan was in motion for him to finally get fixed. The workers even made sure to keep Jack's face intact after the move — community art lives on. 


On Day 19 I rushed out to check on him after a coworker noticed that forklifts were parked nearby. As I got to the scene things seemed to be moving a little faster than I thought -- Jack was now actually on the forklift and it made me feel like I was seeing my kid off to college. That day's Instagram post disappointed a lot of people who wanted to see this saga continue, but part of me was somewhat relieved that it was soon coming to an end. By that afternoon the sphere was back where it belonged —with cone on top, but the workers removed Jack's face.



I couldn't let Jack go out like that. The next day I came in and added one last wink and a smile, with a complimentary giant bandaid as if to say "everything's gonna be alright." Again by the afternoon, his new face was gone almost as fast as it had gone up. NOW it's done.



Now 7 days removed from that 3-week adventure, I can say that it was a fun side project. A friend that works for the Jack-in-the-Box corporate office mentioned to me that the marketing team would appreciate the effort I had put out, so I made sure to retroactively hashtag and mention Jack-in-the-Box in all my previous posts. During that 3 weeks, several of us at JDA have witnessed both pedestrians and drivers stop or slow down to take a picture of the whatever face Jack had on that day. For such a silly thing it still made me quite proud that it could stir a reaction and have someone like it enough to capture it and/or share it with other people.  As visual communicators, we always hope that everything we share with the world will be met with positive feedback and sometimes even a controversial reaction to maintain its position as a conversation piece, and I like to think that was the case here with Jack.  To those that were disappointed by Jack's farewell wink and smile, I reminded them all that Jack was just going off to "college", and like any college student, maybe he could "visit" during holidays.

- Joel Penos




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Packaging: 10 Steps to a Better Process

1. Prioritize. Prioritize. Prioritize. When three people are talking to you, you can’t hear them all. The same is true for design. Visual priority must be established from the very beginning of the design process. If every item is given primary importance, nothing becomes important. The visual priorities are what drive how all creative will be judged. The design firm should include as part of their creative brief, a hierarchy of 5 communication points for the front of the package. This includes 1) brand 2) product name 3) why-to-buy statement 4) feature points 5) product image. 2. Come together. Everyone has an opinion, so clear project objectives are vital to any job. Consensus regarding the creative brief must be obtained from the people expected to judge the package design from within your corporation. Without this consensus, the design process will fall apart. Without clearly stated, agreed-upon objectives, you are not able to provide constructive feedback. As soon as you start t

New and Not Necessarily Improved

A story in the March 3, 2009 issue of the LA Times regarding the unfavorably received new Pepsi brand redesign reminded me of another recent unsuccessful redesign—the one for Tropicana orange juice. A few months ago, I was in a Target store buying some orange juice. I usually get the Tropicana brand, and was disappointed when I didn't see any in the cases. I just saw a bunch of unfamiliar cartons that I immediately wrote off as "not Tropicana" and kept looking around. It was only during a second pass that I realized that these new cartons were indeed Tropicana. Wow, I thought, that's a pretty radical new look. Gone were any vestiges of familiarity--the funky old-style logo, and especially the orange with the straw stuck in it. The new carton is dominated by a large shot of a tasteful-looking (not necessarily tasty-looking) glass of orange juice, with the word "Tropicana" in an unfamiliar sans serif font and green color turned 90ยบ clockwise along the side. T

Let Your Packaging Sell Your Product, Not a Funny Name!

So I ran across this product while I was traveling in NY and needed some earplugs.  I can't sleep without them. Earplugs are notoriously hard to find on shelf so I had to scan many products. I came across this product and got quite a chuckle. I don't think I need to explain why (To be fair, it was awhile ago, and the package design could have changed since then.): Zim's Crack Creme---we can assume that Zim is the pharmacist who created this all-natural herbal wonder cream (creme) for your crack. Or is that really what this means. Surly it couldn't. We design packaging and I couldn't help but analyze this package as I would for a client. The first thing we help our clients do is to prioritize the elements on the front of the package. What is the most important thing to communicate? The name? The brand? The why-to-buy? The features? Obviously, Zim felt the name of the product was most important. But if the name of the product doesn't really convey what it doe