Skip to main content

5 Communication Pitfalls: Agencey vs Client



These communication pitfalls have been rattling around in my head for quite some time. These issues mostly pertain to clients communicating with agencies, but I imagine these pet peeves can be on both sides. I was wondering if I'm being overly picky or if others find these communication missteps as irritating as I do? Don't get me wrong---I'm grateful for all of the new technology that makes communicating much easier, but it has also created some pretty bad habits and unnecessary confusion.
  1. Creating an email from an old email with an unrelated topic. When someone simply can't be bothered to create a new email with a relevant topic to what they are writing, they must not care about what they are passing along. I have had clients send content for a project and attach it to an unrelated email and wonder why I can't find it. 
  2. Sending edits for a project via instant messaging or through a text on my mobile phone. Working in a marketing agency with multiple clients means you have to log in information as it comes and keep track of where it is going. The only thing worse than sending info via IM or text would be Snapchat. This may be faster for my clients but it makes for poor quality control on our end and doesn't save any time in the long run.
  3. Resisting using the telephone when a conversation is really necessary. If emails have gone back and forth and there is still confusion by one or both parties, pick up the phone and talk! I have to admit, I'm more willing to do this than the younger generation who is used to text messages, IM and Snapchat. But sometimes nothing can replace a voice-to-voice or face-to-face conversation. Not to mention, sometimes a message can be communicated with the inflection or tone of voice. This communication nuance is totally lost with a written response.
  4. Not responding to all of questions in an email. I have noticed over the last 5-10 years that people really hate to read which is why little snippets of content are much easier to digest. I try to make it easier for clients to respond to my questions by numbering them or making them short bullet points. But it doesn't seem to matter, they usually respond to the first one or two queries and then lose interest.
  5. Sending handwritten edits via fax. I think it is faster for people to do this rather than work with the annotation tool in Adobe Reader however, it is much less accurate and takes us more time in the long run.  Back in the old days these handwritten edits were copiously kept and logged. But, if the handwriting can't be read, or the fax cuts off the note, no time has been saved. Adobe Reader Professional is one communication tool I love and urge my clients to use. It is better for both of us. That is one application everyone should embrace
I don't want this to be a ranting session, but after rereading it, my tone is a bit annoyed. But trust me, if I were reading it to you it would sound completely different.

Patty Jensen is Vice President of Account Services at JDA Inc, a graphic design firm that specializes in supporting companies' branding and retail efforts with a Unified Marketing approach. To learn more, click here.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Packaging: 10 Steps to a Better Process

1. Prioritize. Prioritize. Prioritize. When three people are talking to you, you can’t hear them all. The same is true for design. Visual priority must be established from the very beginning of the design process. If every item is given primary importance, nothing becomes important. The visual priorities are what drive how all creative will be judged. The design firm should include as part of their creative brief, a hierarchy of 5 communication points for the front of the package. This includes 1) brand 2) product name 3) why-to-buy statement 4) feature points 5) product image. 2. Come together. Everyone has an opinion, so clear project objectives are vital to any job. Consensus regarding the creative brief must be obtained from the people expected to judge the package design from within your corporation. Without this consensus, the design process will fall apart. Without clearly stated, agreed-upon objectives, you are not able to provide constructive feedback. As soon as you start t

New and Not Necessarily Improved

A story in the March 3, 2009 issue of the LA Times regarding the unfavorably received new Pepsi brand redesign reminded me of another recent unsuccessful redesign—the one for Tropicana orange juice. A few months ago, I was in a Target store buying some orange juice. I usually get the Tropicana brand, and was disappointed when I didn't see any in the cases. I just saw a bunch of unfamiliar cartons that I immediately wrote off as "not Tropicana" and kept looking around. It was only during a second pass that I realized that these new cartons were indeed Tropicana. Wow, I thought, that's a pretty radical new look. Gone were any vestiges of familiarity--the funky old-style logo, and especially the orange with the straw stuck in it. The new carton is dominated by a large shot of a tasteful-looking (not necessarily tasty-looking) glass of orange juice, with the word "Tropicana" in an unfamiliar sans serif font and green color turned 90ยบ clockwise along the side. T

Let Your Packaging Sell Your Product, Not a Funny Name!

So I ran across this product while I was traveling in NY and needed some earplugs.  I can't sleep without them. Earplugs are notoriously hard to find on shelf so I had to scan many products. I came across this product and got quite a chuckle. I don't think I need to explain why (To be fair, it was awhile ago, and the package design could have changed since then.): Zim's Crack Creme---we can assume that Zim is the pharmacist who created this all-natural herbal wonder cream (creme) for your crack. Or is that really what this means. Surly it couldn't. We design packaging and I couldn't help but analyze this package as I would for a client. The first thing we help our clients do is to prioritize the elements on the front of the package. What is the most important thing to communicate? The name? The brand? The why-to-buy? The features? Obviously, Zim felt the name of the product was most important. But if the name of the product doesn't really convey what it doe